Saturday, October 4, 2014

The Art of the Lure with Elissa Ruddick: Heddon 219B combo


No it’s not very rare, nor is it terribly expensive. I don’t collect Heddon 210s, Heddon Frog Spot colors or even the era of Heddon in which this one was made. Oh, it’s a beautiful example of what it is, new in its correctly marked box, complete with fold out pocket catalog. That’s the kind of lure that I strive to collect, as folks who know me can surely attest; new in box or as close to that as possible. And with that in mind, the person who gave it to me looked high and low to find something he thought I might like. But I truly wouldn’t care if it was a beater, or even if it had rusty hooks.



You see, every time I look at this combo, I don’t see it for its monetary value, its beauty or collectable appeal, I am always reminded of the person who gave me this lure, a person I consider a dear and true friend. There is no amount of money that I would take for this little combo, and I will cherish it as long as I am on this earth. It was never fished, but it will always have a story to tell, at least as far as I am concerned. Because sometimes the true beauty is not about the lure at all, it’s about the people whom it has come in contact with and the stories that it carries along its journey.

If you have any questions/comments, Elissa Ruddick can be reached at elissaruddick AT aol DOT com.

-- Elissa Ruddick

No comments: