Saturday, October 29, 2011

Deconstructing Old Ads: The Paw Paw Pike Caster (1938)



The Paw Paw Pike Caster


From the April 1938 issue of Outdoor Life comes this ad for the Paw Paw Pike Caster. Many years ago I found one of these baits and was very impressed by its actual resemblance to a small Northern Pike or Chain Pickerel and its beautiful paint job. This is the only ad that I have run across for this striking bait. I contacted my friend Henry Norris, who has the best Paw Paw Caster collection that I know of, to find out a bit more about this striking bait. I was surprised to learn that it came is several different colors as I had only seen ones with the color pattern shown in this ad. I was also surprised to find out that it came in two sizes and in both jointed and straight models (I guess I should have read the ad more carefully). Henry was kind enough to send along several pictures of a few of his Pike Casters. I have been going to NFLCC Lure Shows since 1985 and there are more Pike Casters in these photos than I have seen in all that time. Enjoy!







-- Bill Sonnett

No comments: