Saturday, August 14, 2010

Deconstructing Old Ads with Bill Sonnett




Quirky Ads from Early Outdoor Magazines


I have wondered from time to time who decides to put particular ads in some of our present-day “Outdoor” magazines as they really don't seem to be related to hunting or fishing. However after looking though many many early “Outdoor” magazines, I have come to the realization that this is not a recent trend. Some early ads not only seem out-of place in these magazines, they are often puzzling and/or down right funny. Here are a half dozen to prove my point. I hope you enjoy these as there are many more to feature from time to time.

#1 Baldness has always been fodder for the “quack” but this struck me as very funny and is from the March, 1910 issue of National Sportsman .


#2 From the May, 1917 issue of Outdoor Life comes the “Internal Bath”. I've just never heard it called that!


#3 Talk about Mosquito protection! Solid brass and you can smoke your pipe at the same time. Also from the May, 1917 issue of Outdoor Life .


#4 And you thought the Oscar Meyer “Wiener Mobile” was an original advertising idea! From the August, 1910 issue of Field & Stream .


#5 From the April, 1915 issue of National Sportsman comes this ad for an activity at home that my Mother would definitely not approve of !


#6 Finally, from the same April 1915 issue of National Sportsman comes the “What is it ad” I have read this ad several times and I still have few ideas as to what the thing does or where and how it is used?????



-- Bill Sonnett

No comments: