Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Voices from the Past: A Motorized Fishing Reel (1923)


This week we get a really interesting piece from Popular Science Monthly. As some of you may remember, I've been on a kick lately with motorized, electric and computerized reels. Today, I profile one of the earliest I've seen--from 1923. The caption for the photo reads:

If you're the kind of fisherman who doesn't like to struggle with the line when the big ones bite, this electric motor reel, introduced at Palm Beach by Miss Florence Sullivan, Chicago society girl, ought to fill the bill. When Florence gets a bite, all she does is turn a switch and presto! -- there's the fish. A small electric motor does the trick.



While not exactly sporting, I still think that it's a nifty invention. I'd like to know who made it, though...

-- Dr. Todd

No comments: