Thursday, December 18, 2008

Thursday Review: Chapman Gunsmithing Screwdrivers

Thursday Review: Chapman Gunsmithing Screwdrivers

Let's face it. If you collect fishing tackle, you have run into a situation where you've had to remove hardware to clean a lure, disassemble a reel, etc. At this time, you are constantly reminded by how much regular screwdrivers flat out suck.

At times like this you realize that nothing, and I mean nothing, is more handy than a set of gunsmithing screwdrivers. What makes gunsmithing screwdrivers great is that they generally have non-tapered heads, which means less chance of slippage (the deadly skidding effect that destroys lures and reels alike).

For years I got by on a very cheap set of screwdrivers I picked up a dollar store. It was always a chore to even loosen a screw. About five years ago, however, I got smart and invested in a nice set of gunsmithing drivers. They were made by Chapman, whom I am partial to as they sell custom bits, although I've heard very good things about Wiha as well. I purchased the ever popular Chapman Kit #8900, which includes a variety of bits, a handle, and extension.


The first time I used these gunsmithing screwdrivers, I realized how foolish I had been for not owning them earlier. For a measley $25 I now had a set that has gotten me inside some of the rarest reels around, and allowed me to remove damaged hooks on some very rare lures. I can't imagine using anything else. I liked them so much I've given the set as a gift to friends.

Trust me when I say you'll never regret owning quality tools.

There is a very good thread on gunsmithing screwdrivers over on ORCA which you can check out by: Clicking Here.

-- Dr. Todd

No comments: