Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Voices from the Past: C.L. Gilman


Poetry again? Yep. I like poetry and I am going to force enough angling poetry down your throat until you surrender and say "OK! I give up. I like poetry! Now STOP!" This great little poem comes from The American Angler, September 1917, and was written by C.L. Gilman of The Minneapolis News. Gilman is a long-forgotten newspaperman from the Golden Age of newspapers, and was popular circa 1900-1930. I like this little ditty as it references some great historical fishing figures, including Frank Forester (the nom de plume of Henry William Herbert), Seth Green (pioneer of American fish culture and originator of the barbless hook), Reuben Wood (fishing tackle maven and tournament caster), Joe Jefferson (American actor and prominent fisherman), and Grover Cleveland (U.S. President twice).


A Rhyme of Old Anglers

by C.L. Gilman

I wonder in what stream today
Ike Walton wets a line;
And where Frank Forester displays
His casting, far and fine?

Seth Green, I think, is with them there
By that celestial stream,
And Reuben wood, does he, too share
The dell wherein they dream?

Joe Jefferson, may he by times
Display a well-filled creel
To Cleveland, he who willed his friend
"My best Kentucky reel?"

Why fear for them, when hence went
'Twas sure to enter free
His gate, who left to serve his Lord
His nets on Galilee.

-- Dr. Todd

No comments: